The name Dry River carries an historical significance as the name of one of the earliest Wairarapa sheep stations (ca. 1877). This was later sold off by the Seddon government and renamed Dyerville, leaving the renamed Waihora River (circa 1900) and the renamed Dyerville Rd (1994) – both after Dry River – as the only reminders of this part of our pastoral farming history.
In 1979 Neil and Dawn McCallum planted a vineyard a few kilometres from Dyerville in a very dry, gravely and free-draining area now called the ‘Martinborough Terrace’ and they took the name Dry River for the vineyard and wines in what was to become another chapter of Martinborough’s farming history. Their dream was to produce individual, high quality regional wines which faithfully reflect the ‘terroir’, vintage and are suitable for cellaring.